Adapted from Polly Conner’s and Rachel Tiemeyer’s cookbook, From Freezer to Table: 75+ Simple, Whole Foods Recipes for Gathering, Cooking, and Sharing
This recipe probably wins the award for being the easiest meal in the book. We especially love it because it is one of those meals that can be baked straight from frozen and is a great way to use up leftover ingredients.
Be sure to involve the kids in this one; it’s pretty hard to mess up, and they’ll love the process of customizing their own pizza.
English Muffin Pizzas
(Makes 12 mini pizzas)
6 whole wheat English muffins
3/4 cup pizza sauce
2-1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup finely chopped toppings: pepperoni, cooked Italian sausage, green peppers, banana peppers, spinach, mushrooms, etc.
1. Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
2. Cut each English muffin horizontally and lay them out on the baking sheet with the inside facing up. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or just until they start to brown. Remove from the oven.
3. Reduce the heat to 375°F.
4. Add about 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce to each muffin half. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of cheese over the sauce.
5. Mix together the chopped topping ingredients of your choice and scoop a heaping tablespoon of the mix on top of the cheese.
6. Top each off with another tablespoon of cheese.
7. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese has thoroughly melted.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
To freeze: Prepare as directed, but do not bake. Flash freeze on the baking sheet until completely frozen, 1 to 2 hours. Place in an airtight freezer container or bag, separating layers with parchment paper.
To prepare from frozen: In a preheated 375°F oven, bake from frozen for 13 to 15 minutes.
Chopping up the toppings into small pieces makes it easier to spread them out over such a small space.